Thursday, December 29, 2016

Mrs Ball's Chutney


I got this one from Elaine, but haven't tried to make it yet. If you try, let me know how it turns out :)

Mrs Ball's Chutney
 
Makes about 18 bottles (mild) 

612 g dried peaches (I used apricots)
238 g dried apricots(I used peaches)
3 litres dark grape vinegar or more if needed (I used red wine vinegar)
2 1/2 kg white sugar
500 g onions 
120 g salt
75 g cayenne pepper (I used 4 teaspoons)
(I added about 3 teaspoons red pepper flakes ...we wanted it HOT!)

To make peach chutney, leave out the dried apricots and use 850 g dried peaches.

Soak the dried fruits overnight in the vinegar.
Boil in the same vinegar until soft, and drain (I didn't drain...just left it to cool...mixture was quite thick).
Mince in a food mill or chop up with a knife. (I used my food processor)
Return fruit to a large saucepan and slowly bring to boil.
You can add extra vinegar if the mixture seems too thick..(I didn't as I wanted my chutney chunky)
Add sugar, salt, chopped onions and cayenne pepper...bring to a gentle boil on low, stirring with a wooden spoon so it doesn't catch on the bottom of the saucepan.
Allow the mixture to gently simmer for about 2 1/2 hours.
Sterilize your canning jars, making sure they are HOT when you pour your chutney mixture into them.  Make sure the seals for your canning jars are boiled for at least 10 min before using - remember don't use seals that have been used before.
Place the seal ontop of the jar then screw your lid onto the jar tightly.
Wipe off sides of jars and then leave to stand until the seal "sucks" into the jar - date your jars and store...but make sure you eat some soon too!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment